From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:17:52 -0500

As one of the Listowners of this discussion group, I've been working on
getting a detailed statement from McDonalds to share with the Celiac
community.  It finally arrived today, and I've placed the entire email
below.  As we all know, most McDonalds fried products are not gluten free,
so it is still each person's responsibility to verify that the particular
outlet you patronize follows the McDonalds corporate requirements to
isolate the fries from gluten containing products.

Bill Elkus

----------------------------------

Dear Bill,

I work for Ann Rusniak, McDonald's Chief Nutritionist, who asked me to
respond to your letter of September 4. We thank you for your patience and
for your diligence in obtaining accurate information to share with your
discussion group. We fully understand the critical nature of the diet for
celiacs and wanted to verify our answers to your questions before
responding.

First, we would like to confirm that McDonald's hash browns and French
fries are indeed gluten-free. No gluten containing ingredients are used in
the recipes for the hash browns and French fries. In fact, the hash browns
were reformulated several years ago in response to concerns voiced from
celiacs that McDonald's fries would be contaminated since these products
are cooked in the same frying vats. At that time, McDonald's also
established operational procedures for its restaurants on the proper use
of dedicated fryers, baskets, and utensils for preparing and serving
French fries and hash browns. In addition, procedures were developed to
ensure that there is no cross-contamination of gluten in the cleaning and
filtering of frying equipment and oils. Frequent reminders are made to
operators and managers about the critical nature of following these
procedures, and we fully expect these procedures to be followed.

Regarding the transition to a new cooking oil, we can assure you that this
will not introduce any gluten or wheat products to McDonald's French fries
or hash browns. It is correct that McDonald's fried products, including
French fries, McNuggets, Filet-O-Fish, hash browns, and crispy chicken
patties, will all be cooked in a reformulated oil that contains lower
levels of harmful trans fatty acids. However, the procedures described
above will not change, and thus McDonald's French fries and hash browns
will remain gluten-free.

Ensuring the safety of McDonald's foods for people with celiac disease and
for others with food allergies is of utmost importance to us. We sincerely
appreciate your efforts to disseminate accurate and helpful information to
the celiac community. If we can be of assistance in the future, please
don't hesitate to contact Ann or myself.

Healthy regards,

Betsy Hornick, MS, RD
McDonald's Nutrition Consultant