From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:42:09 +0100

Dear List,

The precise numbers are probably around 1 million biopsy
diagnosed Coeliacs in those areas of Europe who do accept
the Codex Starch.  The number in the UK must be somewhere
between 100,000 and 200,000 (reported diagnosis rate is
about 1 in 300).  There are more than 40,000 members of the
UK Society Coeliac-UK, all of whom had to be biopsy
diagnosed (or the parent of a biopsy diagnosed minor) until
recently.  Membership is far from 100% even though as far
as I know ALL UK hospitals put newly diagnosed coeliacs in
contact with them.

When you add in the numbers in other European countries
large and small, then the number of biopsy diagnosed
Coeliacs must be very close to that million I suggested.
So while "millions" is a bit of an overstatement, it isn't
actually misrepresenting the facts all that much.

Regards

David Walland

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:43:27 -0400 Don Wiss
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sender:       Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List
> Poster:       Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Codex standard, was Eating GF food in England
>
> <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>
>
> [log in to unmask] posted:
>
>  >The current Codex standard is 200PPM. Millions of Celiacs in
>  >Europe eat Codex standard products without any apparent ill-effects.
>  >Several studies have explicitly looked for any medical consequences from
>  >eating Codex standard wheat starch and have found none.
>
> I wasn't aware that there are millions of diagnosed celiacs in Europe. And
> if there are millions diagnosed, I know that not all of them eat the Codex
> wheat starch.
>
> Don.
>
> *Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the Celiac List *

David J Walland