EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:18:45 -0700
It is probably not trivial to find commercial math study materials that are
very accessible.  However many faculty members provide students with
personal handouts on what they should know, etc.  If you can get anything
in MS Word format, there are tricks you might be able to use to convert
things to big fonts.  You can "select all" and change the normal text to a
larger font size, but it won't affect the equations.  If you'll get a copy
of the MathType equation editor (academic price $99, but many universities
have site licenses), you can format the equations to use larger fonts
also.  I believe that MathType should be fairly accessible for creating and
editing equations, since it can be used either with a mouse or with
keyboard hot keys.

Good luck.

John

At 08:27 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, William McQueen wrote:
>I received the following message from "Pam Kennedy"
><[log in to unmask]> in regard to Math Software. If you have any
>suggestions for Ms. Kennedy, could you send them directly to her?
>Thanks - Bill McQueen - EASI Postmaster.
>
> From Pam Kennedy on September 1st.
>Dear Mr. McQueen, I am a woman with limited sight and motor
>disabilities who's going to college next semester.  I'm looking for
>computer software that will help me brush up on algebra and
>precalulus that is displayed in large fonts, and other software that
>allows me to type my proofs in large fonts with ease.  If these
>products exist, where can I find them?
>
>-----------------------
>September online courses on accessible information technology:
>Barrier-free Information Technology http://easi.cc/workshops/adaptit.htm
>Advanced Barrier-free Web Design http://easi.cc/workshops/advwbsyl.htm
>LD and Information Technology http://easi.cc/workshops/ld.htm
>EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
>CCourses and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
>To sign off this list
>send e-mail to [log in to unmask] saying
>signoff easi

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278