EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harvey Bingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:33:35 -0500
At 22:12 2003-01-22 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]

Audio books are most conveniently listened to linear, with non-linear
navigation difficult unless
those books are specially organized/indexed for that purpose. The tape
cassette makes
non-linear reading awkward -- fast forward or reverse. The CD player may
provide some better
indexing -- for example, jump to selected section.

>I like audio books but on the whole I'm with the readers. There's something
>about the intimacy, the concentration and the silence required to devote
>yourself to words on paper that makes me an undying book fan. Large print or
>small, I'll be reading for as long as my eyes will let me.

Some significant advantages of reading text include:

     control reading rate -- not all material need be read at the same rate,
     ability to skim,
     use organizing/navigation tools: table of contents or index.
     read selectively (for example ignore footnotes/endnotes)

Many players of audio books don't have that option.

Availability of the text of a book allows:

     text-to-speech or text-to-braille reading at accelerated rate.
     text search

If that text has content embedded in structural markup, that markup, (including
metadata in attributes) allows corresponding structured navigation.

The players for digital talking books that include professional narration
allow speeded
reading. Many may choose to read at over twice normal speaking rate
(legibly) and
possibly slow down and possibly replay content that is worthy of deliberation.

For more information, see the approved ANSI/NISO Standard ANSI/NISO Z39.86-2002
      http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/Z39-86-2002.html  ISSN: 1041-5653

>Bolinda Publishing:
>www.bolinda.com/largeprint/
>
>Regards Steve