From:
Nancy Mikulich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Mikulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:43:36 -0500

OK.  First, when traveling on United, I do not think I need to tell any of
you what NOT to expect.  Thus, I brought My Own Meals and they put it in
one of their handy dishes and heated it in their oven (no micros  on planes
as radio interference).  My Own Meals are not as bad as MREs, they are JUST
like airplane food.  SO, I did not feel abandoned.  Also brought Barkat WF
GF Mexican Rice just add water and between the 2 was fine.  Ordered the low
fat diet option and got more fresh fruit and salad than regular meal.  Also
brought my own rice crackers, cookies, Thai noodle mix (13 hr flight
requires variety) and for breakfast I had homemade muffin, fruit, and
brought my own cream of rice measured into a Gladware container, added
boiling water and voila, breakfast.

The big problem traveling in a city or perhaps any where is not the starch
factor but protein..  I packed a suitcase with rice pasta, snacks, special
broths, MyOwnMeals, rice meals etc, but when going into resaurants, getting
GF protein is tricky.  I rapidly learned that you can get a baked potato
anywhere. The first few days I lived on baked potatoe and salad till I
thought I would kill someone.  I am limited by avoiding soy, cassien and
lactose too.

Then I wised up.  We were staying in a house, as we had swapped homes with
another family.  So, each day when we left for the day, I brought last
nights leftover chicken (or whatever) and then, if left in the lurch had
something quite good I could add to a salad.  Always had a can of kippers
in my purse too and never left home without a large breakfast to hold us
till about 2pm.

The best thing however is that just about everyone in UK is so aware ofthis
condition.  We got  restaurant recommendations from Taxi drivers!

Sainsburys have a section in the market called Free From which is GF. Prior
to leaving I wrote the the UK Coeliac society for their list, and I wrote
to Tesco, Sainsbury, ASDA and received lists from all of them. We only went
to Sainsbury, but I was told they are all accommodating with GF Sections in
the stores.

A chain of restaurants (take away) called Pret a Mange make WF  sandwiches,
but I never got the lowdown if they were GF so I avoided them, but they had
great smoothies, salads, and were inexpensive and fast.  Most museum cafes
have excellent fresh food.

Hollands and Barret have WF GF Sections

The Landmark hotel ($$$$$) although a pricey option, has a consierge who
has CD and he made recommendations for us .

Scotts Fish resaurant in Mayfair district.
Porters Pub in the theater district
Yo Sushi

We tried Weatherspoons as a listmate recommended, however, they are like a
McPub and we found them to be most unaccomodating.  No Lemon, only malt
vinegar, could not verify any ingredients.

My suggeston is to call ahead, and do not be ashamed or shy to explain
dietary situation.  I can guarantee you that before you finish explaining
CD the person to whom you are speaking will say, Oh right! The wheat thing!

I came home with much of the food I left with since there was not a huge
challenge.  In fact, I came home with other food too to try so if I came
across some goodies I could mail order in future via internet etc.  This
was a nice little side benefit so now I do not have to waste money on
shipping foods to myself that turn out to make me sick or taste terrible.

In general, the food in UK is not as heavily processed and this makes for
picking and choosing a bit easier.  Also makes me wonder even more about
other hidden ingredients in our domestic foods.

Ah, the grand conspiracy!  Since no pharmaceutical co. can make a profit
off of us we are orphaned until we develop something worse.

Unfortunately, London is about 30% more expensive and thus moving there is
just not an option.

It was great while it lasted.  I recommend a trip there to all CDrs.

Cheers!