From:
Nancy Mikulich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Mikulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:08:59 -0500

So sorry it has taken me so long to summarize my query in late June as we
were out of town on holiday in UK for 3 weeks.  It was excellent and I will
summarize that in another communique.

As for the reaction I had, my suspicions are that the non fat dry milk in
the bread mix and a smear of GF chz really did me in as a few weeks earlier
I reacted poorly to yogurt.

As for he MD who indicated the potential need for steriods, well, he is
regarded as a very well informed GI on CD and I have unfortunately lost all
faith in him.  He ordered a Xylose absorbtion test as well as fecal fat
which I did upon return.

His lab lost the fecal fat specimens (3 days of BM down the drain!) and the
xylose had a very laxative effect on me which my PCP said a person with a
normal GI tract would react similarly to.  Thus, with a compromised GI
tract it is taking me 10 days to recover from drinking the stuff (yes it is
GF, it is akin to sorbitol).

This is a highly reputable facility which I travel a great distance to and
now I am back to the drawing board.  Oh Well...

All the many wonderful and supportive respnses generally confirmed the
Cassien and lactose, whey connection to the gastric upset.  I already
avoided lactose and soy, but the whey and cassien is what really messed me
up so, we eliminate something else.  Could be a lot worse I guess.

Thank you all for supporting me with invaluable info and confirming for me
that a mere 1/2 year is not going to undo all the damage from years gone by
(maybe 7-10).

Our trip to the UK was so great inspite of the fact that I was so reluctant
to go due to feeling like garbage.  It was actually the cure and I will
summarize so that others traveling there or traveling in general may
benefit from my most positive experience.  I GAINED 10 LBS IN 2.5 WKS:)!!