From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:32:33 EDT

Pizza Toppings Summary - Part l

I haven't used those crusts, but I've made yummy pizzas using pesto as a base
spread. Or California Sun-dried tomato spread, or olive tapenade. You can
basically make anything into a spread using the food processor and a little
olive oil...seasonings...pastes are fun and really yummy!
+++++++++++++++++++++++
I just take them out of the freezer, spread on sauce and cheese and whatever
other toppings and then bake them about 11 or 15 minutes, however crispy you
like it.  We don't pre-bake the crust as my son likes it soft.  My husband
like it a little crispier, so we take it out at 11 minutes for my son, cut
his pieces off, and them pop it back in for another 5 minutes for my husband.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's my store of choice.  They will special order for you also.  The celiacs
in this area are their biggest clientele.  I haven't made pizza for myself
because I don't need the calories, but my daughter has made my grandson the
Kinnikinnick pizza crust and she bakes it about 15 minutes before she adds
toppings.  Kinnikinnick is not cheap, but I think the best
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pizza crusts - I like to brush on a little olive oil, sprinkle with crushed
oregano and a little grated parmesan, and pre-bake them for a few minutes on
a pan that has holes in it.  I put a piece of foil under it.  Then I put on
my toppings.  I use Applegate Farms pepperoni,  available at some health food
stores or have them order it.  It is nitrite free and gluten-free.
+++++++++++++++++++
I just put what ever toppings on top and put all into heated overn. wait
until outside of crust is a golden brown and you are all set.  Best pizza
bases by the way! I regularly make a white pizza -- no red sauce and use
ricotta instead. That is my favorite at present!
+++++++++++++++++++++
I put the sauce & cheese on the frozen crust & put it in the oven @ 400 for
about 9 min.
+++++++++++++++++++++
I do a Kinnickinick Pizza about once a week.  I usually just stick the frozen
pie in the microwave for about a minute to thaw it and soften it up, slather
it with homemade gravy if I have it or storebought GF pizza sauce (there are
a number of good local ones here in the Philly area due to the large number
of Italians).  Cover it with shreaded cheese and either veggies (or more
likely) Hormel's GF pepperoni.  I also like it with habenero peppers,
prociutto ham, and artichoke hearts, but that is clearly a personal taste!
They are not as good as the pizza from a good South Philly pizza shop, but
considering the convenience and all, they are a great compromise.  I use a
pizza stone (dedicated to my GF pizzas) and I get pretty good crust.  If I
have the time, making my own crust actually has better results, but mostly
because I like really thin crust and these Kinnickinick Pizza  crusts are a
little thick for me.  But being fairly lazy, I make one homemade crust for
each ten or so Kinnickinick Pizza  crusts I eat.
I just cooked my first crust last night (why don't they put directions on
their packaging).  I didn't precook or defrost.  I topped and put in the oven
at 400 for about 10-12 minutes (?) and it was great.