From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:09:07 -0700

List mates, This is amazing.  This is a summary I wrote in the spring of
last year.  Just today, it came back with a "unable to deliver" message
attached.  In other words, this has been lost in cyber space for over a
year.  I'll think twice before I'll call traditional mail "snail mail"
again!

I had ask the list what GMO and nonGMO meant.  This is the summary I
wrote:

Whew! Did I get an education and an ear full on this one! It's apparently
a very controversial topic. Non-GMO means Non Genetically Modified
Organism.  GMO means genetically modified organisms as in fish DNA being
spliced into strawberries & tomatoes to make them resist freezing, gluten
producing genes being spliced into potatoes to give them a more complete
protein, insecticide resistant genes being spliced into corn &
accidentally entering the human food market. GMO's contain the genetic
material from a number of unrelated species.  Most replies expressed
fears that we may in the future end up with gluten in our previously GF
foods such as potatoes, corn, beans, etc.At any rate, here are some
highlights of the responses I received:
~genetically modified foods aka frankenfoods
~Genetically Modified Organisms, like "Round-Up Ready soybeans."
~There are instances where allergic reactions occur because a gene has
been spliced into what would have been a safe food for someone (barley
with brazil nut genes is one that pops to mind).
~Soy (non-organic)is one of the most heavily-sprayed and genetically
altered foods on the planet.&nbsp; One particular breed of GMO soy is
called Round-Up Ready.
~ http://www.purefood.org&nbsp; http://www.greenpeople.org ...great info
on GMO's.
~Non-genetically modified. That be a good thing.
~You can count on GMOs being present in EVERY food product that isn't
labeled "No GMOs" or "GMO-Free" because the FDA does not require the
labeling of food that contains GMOs...If a wheat gene is inserted into
ome other product, the FDA does not consider this harmful &amp; does not
require it to be labeled as wheat is, said to be fit for human
consumption. WE know just how much damage that could REALLY cause for
us...; People with food allergies will have no idea what they are really
eating unless the product is labeled.
~Say NO to Frakenfoods!&nbsp; No GMO, GE, Biotech, or altered foods in
our food sources!!! Say-NO-to-GMO [log in to unmask]
~ I won't get into the politics of whether this is safe or not.
~ I see it as a positive as long as it's well regulated and the consumer
is well informed.&nbsp; Who knows, with genetic engineering, it may
someday be possible to create a safe wheat for celiacs?
~...in Prince Edward Island they engineered a gluten bearing potato -yep
you read that right.; Unfortunately, in Canada, the law does not require
them to disclose that the potato is genetically modified and contain
gluten - not even for seed potatoes. Can you imagine not even being able
to trust your potatoes to be safe.
~Customer Service, Authentic Foods http://wwww.authenticfood.com

~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!