From:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:42:41 -0400

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post a few weeks ago about links
between other diseases and celiac.  As I mentioned in my original message,
my father has been diagnosed with arthritis in his back, hemorroids,
depression, prostate cancer, and breast cancer all in the past two years and
has had other less-serious lifelong symptoms that may be related to celiac.
Dad suffered severe trauma about two years ago when his best friend died and
then his only brother.  I was looking for research or personal experiences
regarding suppressed immunity and celiac.  I received information from many
wonderful people.  I don't think that Dad is ready to deal with this celiac
idea yet, but thank you all for your advice and support.  There were so many

Many respondents had numerous diverse symptoms and diseases: colitis,
rosacea, cancer, lower back pain, depression, flatulence, carbohydrate
cravings

People who linked their celiac to lower back pain and said that the pain has
disappeared after going gf.

A few people urged my Dad to get a colonoscopy

Some said that leaky gut due to celiac can lead to cancer of various types
(my naturopath has said the same thing)

A couple of people suggested that getting a handle on the depression might
be the best first step with so many symptoms.  Celiacs seem to suffer from
depression more than the general population and of course, cancer would make
this worse .  A few people suggested that conventional treatments such as
medication, counseling, and cancer survivor groups can help in this area.

One person suggested that Dad's cancer surgery could have triggered the
worst symptoms "That was the case with me. I had years of rotating symptoms:
6 weeks of acne, 6 weeks of thinning hair, 6 weeks of edema, 6 weeks
diarrhea  .... but never all at once. Then I had surgery, and that's when my
symptoms collided all at once -- including depression, anxiety, bone pain,
hair, acne, edema, diarrhea, etc etc."

One person suggested that increased protein intake could help with recovery
from cancer and exercise would be beneficial.

Many people suggested vitamin therapy may be needed after cancer treatment.

Many suggested leaving GF food for my Dad (unfortunately, he lives in
Florida - 2000 miles away), and easing him into the idea of this.  Some said
that trying the gf diet might make him feel better.  One said that when a
non-CD friend of hers went gf her fibromyalgia pain decreased.

"If he is eating lots of carbohydrates and is fatigued, he may have
candida/Yeast infection.....very common in older men with poor diets."

One person provided the following "prescriptions" for Dad's ills

"For his hemorroids give him Vitamin E
For his back pain (it can be caused by spasms)give him
     garlic, it has helped a lot.  It has even helped
     me with asthma that I have had here & there.
For his skin problems--give him Vitamin A.  My brother
     had skin problems and the doctor gave him Vitamin
     A & it cured his condition.
For his energy--Give him Brewer's yeast.  It has B
     vitamins and other things.  He can take it in as
     shake--banana, milk, vanilla.  Don't take a lot
     at once. Start small."
***

Melissa
in New Hampshire