From:
Mary W. Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 17:42:30 +0800

Thanks to all who responded to my enquiry about eating gf in London.

1. gf products are readily available in the following places:

    a.  drug stores (chemists). Boots is a huge drug store chain; go to the
pharmacy section and ask for gluten-free foods.

    b.  Holland and Barrets, a health store chain.

    c.  Marks and Spencers Dept. Store has a list of gf foods that they
sell.

    d.  Tesco and Sainsbury grocery chains also provide a list.

2.  IMPORTANT!! wheat starch is permitted on the gf diet in England.  You
can find products without it, however.

3.  The Coeliac Society (www.coeliac.co.uk) has a booklet on eating gf
(can't remember the cost).

4.  Someone said Harrods had gluten free items in a cafe, but with 22 eating
places they never found the correct one. I e-mailed them and was told that
The Terrace Bar can accommodate our diet.  Contact the store directly ++44
207 730 1234 with lead time so the chef can be notified. (thanks to Jo
Bastin in Customer Services).

5.  I contacted The Savoy and was informed that gf Afternoon Tea is
available from 3:00pm - 5:30pm with the last reservation at 3:30 pm.  As
Afternoon Tea during the weekends is usually fully booked at least 3-4 weeks
ahead, they advise making a reservation. The dress code is smart casual, no
shorts, jeans and sneakers are permitted. Price: GBP23.00 per person on
weekdays, GBP26.00 weekends.

FRIENDS--if you have never experienced Afternoon Tea you are in for a treat!
The last one I had was at The Waldorf and all I could have was the tea and a
rice cake that I brought as I didn't know that gf was available.

6.  Fish and chips is a no-no. Chinese is questionable unless thickened with
a white sauce.  If you eat in an Indian restaurant choose rice, tandoori
cooked chicken with no sauce.  Onion Riata is made from yogurt, Takka Dahl
is made from lentils and is usually OK as they naturally thicken. Popadoms
are usually made with corn.  Don't eat any bread there! Spinach dish is OK.
Don't eat curry with sauce.

7.  Strangely - Spaghetti Houses are quite good.  They saute potatoes,
chicken, vegetables, salad, etc.  Just tell them you mustn't have any flour
in any sauce.

8.  Avoid sausages unless you can read the ingredients on the packet for
yourself.  Steer clear of scrambled eggs or omelettes because it is common
practice to add a bit of wheat flour to improve the texture.  You are
probably safe with bacon.  Ham from a carvery is probably safe, but approach
with caution any pre-cut ham such as you might find in a salad.  Some cheap
hams have textured vegetable protein added.

9.  Jacket potatoes (stuffed baked potatoes) are easily found.  Just be
careful about the fillings.

10.  Avoid instant coffee as it might not be gf.  Starbucks is now
everywhere. The plunger-type coffee is OK.

To sum up:  Eating gf in the UK is easier than here in the US.  Just don't
be afraid to ask questions and talk to restaurant managers when you book, or
walk in to any restaurant.