From:
Set Digest <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 03:19:59 GMT

Such a varied response it will be difficult to summarize:

Several just eat salt-free permanently--at least avoiding commercially prepared foods containgin salt
1 rec drinking a lot of H2O to clear the IGA deposits faster
1 rec epsom salts baths which we have been doing
1 rec an elimination diet to see if other things were affecting him
1 rec an ELISA test for allergy testing
Several reminded me to watch multi vitamins for iodine
1 asked if he was allergic to iodine
1 asked about his thyroid which I am having tested
1 rec Diprolene by prescription for tough to clear patches
1 rec Cormax by prescription
1 asked if he might have a Dapsone reaction/allergy

One woman summarized the iodine issue with this:

The usual sources of iodine in the diet are iodized salt, vitamins with
iodine, and products from the ocean/saltwater--ocean fish & seafood, sea
salt, and products made from seaweed--Red #3 & seasalt, but also in seaweed
(kelp) & seaweed products--various emusifiers & stablizer--caarragen (sp?),
agar-agar,  irish moss, and anything terms with 'alginate.'  If you elminate
these, you will probably be able to tolerate what remains.  Iodine is found
in the soil in varying in amounts around the country so the impact of
vegetables would vary too depending on soil content.

****I also found that potato and egg yolk are high in iodine so we are eliminating those for now.

I am aware of the risks of eliminating iodine but for Jesse's relief and sanity we must temporarily cut it down.  There is not really a no iodine diet under the sun from what I can tell--only a low iodine diet is possible as most everything has iodine in it.

Thanks again for ALL your very wonderful help.

Will keep yall posted.

Sincerely,

Shellie for Jesse

Only $9.95 per month!