From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:11:29 -0500

> No, chrystlization occurs by itself after some time, if the composition of
> sugars is the right for this and there is not too much water in it.
> Wether honey is more liquid or not depends of which kinds of sugars
> that predominate, which in turn depends on which plants are the
> nectear source for it.

Hans, you're absolutely right about this--honey will crystalize all on its
own.  I had forgotten that sometimes some of our stored honey would
partially/mostly crystallize.  But it was old/aged because we always had
more honey than we could ever use up from year to year, so we might have
jars that were a year to a few years old in storage along with new honey.  I
remember wondering as a kid why some jars changed and some didn't.  But now
it makes sense by what you say because Dad had his hives divided among three
different locations, so the bees fed in different environments.

About water--honey from capped honeycomb keeps.  Honey from uncapped won't
because of the high water content.  The bees haven't finished processing it
if it's not capped.  We always had to use/give away the uncapped honey first
because it would sour/ferment/ if not soon used.

Theola