From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:48:09 -0400
From: Tom <[log in to unmask]>

 The same is true for lard. If you work out the numbers, you come to the
surreal conclusion that you can eat lard straight from the can and
conceivably reduce your risk of heart disease.

In Southern New Mexico, where I live most of the year, lard is a staple part
of the diet.  People buy really large tubs of lard in the grocery store and
use it in their daily cooking.  Yet, they have a high incidence of heat
disease - starting often in their 30s and 40s - and I think they may have a
short life span compared to other parts of the U.S (just a guess on my part
based on personal observation).  I personally know men in their 40s who have
had 1 or 2 heart attacks already and have heard of many more.

I suppose it is the combination of lard with corn and flour that does them
in....

Kath