C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:15:41 -0400
Hell, Rayna, the problem is not getting them to do what they can do, but
what they are SUPPOSED to do..or not do, as the case may be.  Example:  I
told Anna (9) last week to quit bouncing on her bed because the frame would
break.  This week she's been begging me not to go into her room "because I'm
making a surprise for you, Daddy."  Truth is, she confessed to her mom on
Friday that she broke the frame and the whole mess came crashing to the
floor (thank god she wasn't hurt!).  Anyway, Laura said that Anna is
terrified that I'm going to find out.  I guess she's been quaking all
weekend. So, this morning, without even raising my voice, I said to her,
"I'm going to need your help fixing your bed because I can't hold both ends
of the broken frame by myself, okay?"  The look on her face was priceless!
There was no sense in punishing her, as she'd already beat herself up
enough, and I'd be willing to bet she won't be jumping on her bed anymore
<g>!

An aside here, maybe even a new thread:  Do any list folks with kids ever
feel "guilty" about not being able to do all of the physical things with
your kids that AB parents can?  This has been gnawing at me lately.  I come
home from work pretty much shot, but the kids want to get out and GO!
Anyone else have this?

-Kyle