Kathleen Lunson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:25:41 -0400
having accepted the general premise of paleo, I tend to ignore the experts when they conflict with one another within that premise, and pay attention to my own body.  When I am true to paleo, I feel that I can trust my body to tell me what it needs.  Certainly my hunger seems on an even keel, my cravings for bad foods diminish if not disappear, and my cravings for healthy foods increase.

All that by way of saying that if I am restless and antsy about my foods I know I need more fat in my diet and I shift to higher fat meats.  I recognize that that feeling for me indicates a lack of fat and sometimes a lack of sufficient veggie varieties.  I also notice that eating higher fat meats tends to mean that I eat less in general.

This works out very well for me in the sense that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about which expert is right on which minor point and which is wrong.  There is a real quality of life in that for me, as well as apparently a reliable way to take care of myself by paying attention to my own body.

Again, those body signals are only reliable when I am being and have been true to paleo for some time.

Kathleen