From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 08:15:48 -0500
On Tue, 14 May 2002 17:42:49 -0500, Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
wrote or quoted:

>Even low glycemic, if they represented 50-60% of caloric
>intake, would be capable of running insulin up and in an insulin resistant
>person, that is going to spell failure.

In an insulin resistant person anything eaten will run the insulin up.
And that is going to spell problems.
So fighting insulin resistance - if it's present - is the first problem of
all to deal with.

And what to do?
Of course hold insulin elevating foods low.
Beans are a good means for that. Channa del (a chickpeas dish) has
a GI of 20 (at Mendoza list), while Spaghetti have 46.
Now compare that to the insulin elevation (IS Insulin score) of spaghetti.
It's 40. But beef is 51.
Your're not save by replacing good carb sources by fat.

What else?
How about caring for the cell walls? Saturated cell walls make insulin
resistance. If you choose a very high fat diet , made possible by
 meat as the protein extract you're in danger of a too low PUFA percentage
in your cell wall lipids. Which makes them sticky and less permeable.
I'd say 1/3 of all fat intake should be PUFA and again 1/3 of this LNA.

1/3 PUFA is a PUFA percentage found largely in wild fat resources, between
25% and 25%. Same for the LNA to LA ratio (1:2).

Then of course to metabolize energy vitamins are necessary, particularly
thiamin, but b2,b3,C,Zinc,Mg as well.
A high part of alpha lipoic acid and Coenzyme Q10 (not a vitamin, but
necessary for energy usage and found largely in uncooked carb sources).

You may attempt to cut down all carb sources.
This releaves your body only of the very first step in glucose processing,
the initial glycolysis from glucose to Acetyl-CoA. Where pyruvate
decarboxylase is used. Spares Vitamin B1.
But onthe other hand requires some additional stress by the
gluconeogenesis your body is forced into,
Just to gain the carb fuel for the brain.

I think various legumes are a good alternative.
They are low in carbs, they are high in protein and high in many beneficial
substances. Huntergatherers and paleolithic people ate them.
Australian aboriginals eat a lot of them (acacia seeds).
But they need a proper processing, long soaking or germinating, most need
cooking.

regards

Amadeus