CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lydia Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:41:19 -0500

I've recently been re-diagnosed with celiac sprue 11 years after initial
diagnosis, at which time I had been told it was something I could
"outgrow." I've had type one diabetes since age 9 and have been on a pump
for three years.

I was 26 at the time of original celiac diagnosis and was near death,
hospitalized for weeks with malnutrition and dehydration. Once I was taken
off gluten, I had an immediate and drastic improvement. I also gained a lot
of weight, much of which I had lost during the preceding six months.
Following my gastro-enterologist's advice I gradually reintroduced
gluten-containing foods into my diet resulting eventually in an increase in
symptoms from bloated gas attacks and wildly flucuating blood-sugars to
gall-bladder inflammation and intestinal pain. I switched to a new
diabetologist-endocrinologist a couple of months ago who ran antibody tests
and confirmed diagnosis, and am back on a gluten-free diet, this time for
life.

It is one thing for a young child to gain weight and health after not
thriving due to celiac disease. I, on the other hand, was delighted when I
started losing weight last fall, believing I was finally seeing results
from a 20-year battle with 10 extra pounds. Once I was re-diagnosed, I
quickly gained back most of the weight I had been so delighted to lose,
making me realize I had probably lost the weight due to malnutrition.

Granted, my gastro-intestinal track is healthier and I am no longer so
fatigued, but I am having a terrible time dealing with the
psychological/aesthetic/emotional sides of this disease. I am hoping that I
will soon become accustomed to very low-carb meals and not eat so damned
much to compensate. My treat-food cravings have redoubled in the last weeks
as I have removed other satisfying foods, primarily carbohydrates, from my
diet. It is indeed astonishing how much fish and vegetable I can eat
without adversely effecting my blood sugars. Of course, in the long run,
added weight increases my insulin need, leading to additional weight, and
so on and so on.

As I have seen myself, and read about in the posts online, insulin needs
increase a great deal with recovery from celiac disease. I am struggling
with the following conundrum: I don't want to take more insulin and gain
weight, but I don't want to be sick.  As you all surely know, losing weight
while maintaining good diabetes control (how I hate that phrase!) is
difficult at best. Now, more than ever before, I am wishing a safe and
legal dietary aide existed for diabetics.

I am not sure what I am hoping for in response to this posting. I am just
having a really hard time. I appreciate your taking time to read this.

Lydia Mann, NYC