C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:08:47 -0400
Close enough.  Lots of judges make folks who have been convicted of DUI
(OMVI, DWI, whatever "drunk driving" is called in your state) install a
"blow to go"--at the owner's expense--as a requirement of getting their
license back.  They used to be pretty easily defeated, but the technology is
fairly good these days.  I'm not sure how it's done, but the machinery has
some "intelligence" in that the driver can't get a passenger to use their
wind.  The early models had problems, like false positives from mouthwash,
but it's all been worked out, pretty much.

The other thing, which I absolutely LOVE, that's used in Ohio, is a set of
"Scarlet Letter" tags.  If, say, the judge grants work driving priviledges,
he/she can issue a "special" set of license plates.  They have "scarlet
letters" on a flourescent orange background.  Serves two purposes:
Humiliation (which doesn't really work with a lot of alcoholics) and
Identification--gives a cop a "heads up" that the driver is a repeat drunk
driver.  Woe be to those folks who try to use standard plates.  You could
lose your driving priviledges for life, or even face real prison time.

-Kyle