C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
bmoulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:44:45 -0400
Kyle,

Dragon Dictate is very reasonable for what it allows you to do.

I have the Standatd edition, version, 5.0 I think, - anyway, the latest
version.

If you want to use it to fill out forms I would get the professional version
which you can likely get for less than $300. Also Dragon needs lots of memory
to run and a quality sound card makes a difference. If you are thinking about
upgrading your system at any time in the near future, it is good to do it when
you get Dragon. Not saying you have to, just that it might make sense.

The quality of the microphone also makes a difference. I think the one that
comes with the software is better than it used to be. It is a headset
microphone as you probably know.  If that make you crazy- sometimes it slips
around- you can get a table top model, downside: less portable or wear a
baseball cap. This works well if you have a private office

In general, Dragon works best in private space, not that it needs to be dead
quiet, but your dictacting may distube others.

They say you can be using this in about an hour... that is not untrue... you
can be using it, but using it skillfully takes somewhat longer.

To fill out forms you will likely have to dictate what needs to be filled in,
the cut and paste - are your forms Word documents? Can they be converted to
Word Templates? If so it might be easier. (Fewer steps)

It is probably worth talking to a Dragon Rep. and seeing if you can really do
what you need to do before you buy.

As I said, I have the low-end version, the Professional version has some
things that I like and probably does do some things that I don't know about.

Check out the Dragon Sysytems Website.

Best Regards,
You and Laura are in my thoughts.
Bonnie