Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:09:24 -0700

THE BOYFRIENDS ISSUE

Thanks to everybody for the responses I got on the question about how gluten free the man in my life has to be
before I can kiss him.  He is the one gluten-containing treat that I am NOT willing to give up!!!

t, but we’re all in charge of our own health here.  Even with the brushing, it was pointed out that this is an obvious
place gluten may sneak in – it comes down to quality of life, doesn’t it?

I did like the suggestion “Wear protection while kissing.  Put some Saran wrap/pliofilm(?)/stretch wrap over his face
and have at it! 8^)”.

And: “He jokes about my warranty not being any good.  He kids around that he should get a new model with all the
parts working correctly, but he's still here and very supportive.  I think I'll keep him.”

THE PHYSICIANS ISSUE

o it’s a matter of educating the family doctor…perhaps that’s not a bad thing, since the guy must have other celiac
patients!!!

ility for our own health!!!  My beau is going to a gastro, but my own dealings suggest we need to be careful even
there, so I might just send along the articles just in case (and be relieved if the gastro turns out to know CD).

ARTICLES TO GIVE TO DOCTORS:

*Article on Celiac disease - New England Journal of Medicine, Vol.346, No. 3  Jan. 17, 2002.  (access the web site
www.nejm.org for $10 or go to a library)

*www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/celiac/index.htm

*Specifically designed for primary care physicians -www.uams.edu/celiac

*The best are the three at the top of www.gflinks.com

*http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/basic.html

*Intolerance Group's website (www.gluten.net):

*Grand rounds in gastroenterology from Baylor College of Medicine – Dysphagia in a patient with rheumatoid
arthritis and iron deficiency anemia – Medscape article about a syndrome which seems to have a link to the celiac
disease...

*Mayo Clinic site is good

*University of Maryland in Baltimore where Dr. Faisano, a leading expert works, is good.

*http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

I also had some articles sent directly to me, so I’ll send them on to anyone who is interested:

*Detecting_Celiac_Disease_in_Your_Patients___March_1__1998___

American_Academy_of_Family_Physicians.url

*The Widening Spectrum of Celiac Disease, by Joseph Murray, MD, PhD, summarised by Jim Lyles (Sprue-nik
Press, Nov. 1996)

*Detecting Celiac Disease in Your Patients, HAROLD T. PRUESSNER, M.D., (printed in the journal American
Academy of Family Physicians)

THE CORRECT TESTS ISSUE

…although I think I’ll be a full bottle on this one by the time I read all these articles!

ensitive and specific for celiac disease.

*And of course, Dr Fine was mentioned, although I’m still following the debate on this with interest (please, no
discussion to me on this one!)  www.enterolab.com

Thanks again to everyone who had something to say!  Looking forward to the day every restaurant has a gluten-free
menu, and every doctor knows more about celiac than the general public,

Ingrid.