EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:40:07 -0700
There is no screen reader that reads math (unless it is written all in line
using keyboard characters - which it almost never is).  Moreover there
really isn't any way to author math for the web that is accessible.  That
should change within the next few years as mathML becomes prevalent and
accessibility methods are developed.  In the meantime, one must continue to
"make math accessible" for blind students.

I have recently written a resource paper intended mostly for math/science
faculty teaching blind students.  It describes new technologies that reduce
the difficulty of communicating written information. You may find it
helpful particularly if the electronic source document for that web text is
available from its author:
http//dots.physics.orst.edu/~gardner/ScienceEd.html

John

At 09:00 AM 8/21/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I need advice on the best screen reader to use to read an on-line
>introductory algebra text.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks.
>
>Karen O'Kain, Coordinator
>Student Enrichment Center and Equal Access Office
>UNM-Valencia Campus

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278