EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennison Asuncion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:20:43 -0400
Hello

While attempting to set up a Hotmail account, I got to a point where you
need to type in characters that appear in a picture. What is nice is that
they have an option for you to click on a link if you can't see the
picture. The idea is that you click on a wav file which contains the
spoken characters that you need to type in. In theory that is great, but
in practice, listening to the file is an exercise in frustration, as there
is so much background noise, that you can't distinguish, for example a "b"
from a "p."  Moreover, the speed at which the woman read-out the
characters made it necessary to replay the file more than once. I tried
at least ten times with no luck. Every
time I typed in what I thought I heard as the character string, it was
wrong.
Has anyone else experienced this new kink in Hotmail?

While MicroSoft should be applauded for taking a different approach than
Yahoo (where you need to call in to get the characters that are embedded
in a picture), was
this fully tested for its practicality?

Jennison

Check out the EASI web:
http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Check EASI Courses and Clinics
To sign off this list
send e-mail to [log in to unmask] saying
signoff easi