EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:10:41 -0700
My inside sources tell me the following . . . or this is the best my
failing memory can recall in a vague way . . . .

The Blackboard chat system has been rewritten based on the chat system
created at the University of Toronto for accessibility.  I believe there
are complications when placing it inside another platform.  They have
worked to get it to work with JAWS.  They had trouble getting it to
actually work.  There was something about having to use a specific jaws
version and get some specific plugin.

The last I heard they did have success having it working.

At this point they have had had a personnel shake-up moving between
departments.  I don't know but suspect that this has put the real unveiling
on temporary hold.

I am convinced that the shake-up does not imply a backig away from
accessibility.  My impression is that there will now be more people
assigned to access issues, but the reorganization is still in process.

To sum up.  I hear that blackboard has managed to get the chat functioning
in a test situation with very specific software.  I expect that making this
to function a bit more transparently is the next goal and that something
positive will come to pass.

Maybe I can say something more specific in a month or two.

Norm

                                                         ------------------------------
EASI's July, month-long online courses:
Beginner Barrier-free Web Design
Train the Trainer
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm

                                         Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
22196 Caminito Tasquillo
         Laguna Hills CA 92653
home: (949)  855-4852
         Cell: (949) 922-5992