EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:00:13 -0400
It depends on what you mean by a "macro." If the student wants to script
NaturallySpeaking commands that insert canned text into documents, the
Professional Edition is not needed. The Preferred Edition will do that fine.
If the student wants to create speech commands to run Word more efficiently,
she is probably better off customizing Word. Word's customization capabilities
are built-into the product, including a macro recorder (which in my opinion,
should not be used for inserting text. Use AutoCorrect instead.)  It is also
possible to use Macro Express (www.macros.com), which costs $35, to create
Word-specific scripts, and bind them to hotkeys that can be invoked by speech,
e.g., "Press F10."

It's vital to use the Professional Edition when yoking NaturallySpeaking with,
say, ZoomText or JAWS. But for most users, the Professional Edition is
overkill. A person with a programming mentality will find ways to put the
Professional Edition to good use, but if the student has limited or no
scripting experience, it is reasonable to ask whether she is going to start
using these advanced features.

I think that the money is more wisely spent on additional training than on the
Professional Edition. (It is not unusual for users to need 20 to 30 hours of
one-on-one training.)

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor + Associates Inc.