EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Meijer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:05:49 +0100
Hi Richard and all,

I read your message saying

> We have not found a way to make Maple or Scientific Notebook
> Accessible to the Blind. Do you have any suggestions?

The vOICe Learning Edition software has a feature
that lets you hear the graphical content of any
window. So you can directly hear graph windows from
Maple, Matlab, Octave, SPSS, Mathematica, etcetera.

How to use this? Start The vOICe Learning Edition
software, next press Alt F9 to sound the active
window (the one that has focus), and then Alt tab
to the graphical output window that you want to
hear. You may need to toggle inverse video on via
function key F5 if the graph shows dark lines on
a bright background.

More information on this can be found near the
bottom of the web page

   http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winmath.htm

(skipping the part about the built-in accessible
scientific graphing calculator).

This page also describes how to change the formula
display mode in Mathematica in order to make formulas
more accessible via a regular screen reader like Jaws
or Window-Eyes. I do not know the equivalent commands
for Maple, but Aqil's comments suggest that Maple too
allows for a more accessible formula display mode.

Best regards,

Peter Meijer

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winvoice.htm