EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:29:53 -0800
Hi,

I too have truly enjoyed the flexibility of scanning books and having JAWS
read them.  I have often used the speech output to make tape recordings for
studying  on the bus...

I would copy multiple summaries to the clipboard and paste them all in a
file.  I would turn on the tape recorder and have the summaries all on one
tape for quick studying.  I recall indexing each summary so I could speed
through the material as needed.  To get a good recording, I would run a wire
with an eighth inch jack on each end connecting the headphone jack on the
computer to the microphone jack into the tape recorder.

Now I am seeing MP3 players and CD players that appear to have new uses .  I
have students who are scanning their books in Kurzweil and saving them as
MP3 files.  The advantage here is that they can use the files on a computer
that does not have JAWS.  It is not ideal but it works.  We are going to see
soon if the files will play on the Victor or Plex Talk players.

It is good to see your efforts  making meaningful access to your students.
I applaud all of you.

Keith Christian
Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments, LAUSD