From:
Jo Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jo Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:13:59 -0700

Hello!

I asked a couple of weeks ago if we could donate
blood.  What had been your experiences?  Here is the
summary of results.

I received 40 responses.  26 said yes.  4 said no.
The remaining 10 had other warnings or recommendations
to do with blood donation (listed below).

Of the 4 who said no, 2 were from Canada and were
giving the Canadian policy.  A third had been turned
down by the Rhode Island Blood Bank.  One person said
that IgA deficient blood is an issue that requires
matching in a donation and that a med alert bracelet
should be worn if that applies.

Other concerns and information were as follows:

Celiacs may donate as long as they meet all other
criteria as well.  These include but are not limited
to a minimum weight of 110 lbs., normal blood count,
no diarrhea symptoms at the time of donation, normal
iron levels, normal hemoglobin, no tattoos or
piercings within a year.

A few people had been turned down with multiple
conditions.

Though we are allowed to donate in the U.S., this may
not be true in other countries.  Canada was mentioned
twice.  One person wrote to say that as of 2002,
Canada allows celiacs to donate if they have been gf
for a year, have no other CD related illesses, and are
healthy at the time of donation.

One person had encountered a long waiting period when
CD was admitted.  Recommended not telling, since the
Red Cross does not exclude for it.  Several other
mentioned that the Red Cross does not exclude for CD.
One even tried to send me an excerpt from their manual
to show the exact wording.  Another person said her
blood bank gave her a special card saying the the
bank's director has cleared her for donation, which
helps her avoid the time delay while unfamiliar
personnel check it out each time.

Several respondents mentioned that they'd donated
right after 9-11 with no problem.  Several shared that
they donate regularly and have for years.

One person advised taking your own snack, as what is
offered afterward is often unsafe.

One person theorized that though our blood would not
hurt recipients, theirs might cause a reaction in a
celiac.

Individual blood banks have varying levels of
knowledge and acceptance.  The Rhode Island Blood Bank
rejected one celiac.  Someone else's bank would not
accept her blood unless she presented a note from her
doctor saying it was acceptable for her health.
Another person has been permanently barred from giving
blood (by the blood bank) for the sake of her own
immune system.  One was told that if you have EVER
been anemic, you may NEVER donate.

A few expressed reservations about compromising the
health of a celiac by donating.

A couple of folks mentioned that this was discussed
last year and could be found in the archives.

That's all.  Thanks to everyone who responded.

Jo