From:
Joe Cannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Cannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:55:42 -0500

continued from "Summary: Need more bread advice (Part #3)"

***
I would try and take that same dough, or any other kind, spoon it only
cookie
sheets like biscuits, rise and bake for 15 min. at 350 and see if that
doesn't
work better.  This is what I do every week, and fix a roll sandwich, instead
of
sliced bread.  It raises great, bakes quickly, and turns out every time.
Typically GF bread works better in smaller pans, etc, and I have found this
to be
fool proof.  It's too expensive to gamble on!
***
Hi,
I haven't used the bread mix, but make my own.  When I bake it in the oven I
get the same results,  too brown(Black) and it falls in the middle.   When I
use my bread machine it doesn't burn, but it falls in the middle.  I have
tried more flour, then, more liquid.  Let me know if you solve the riddle.
Thanks.
***
Make very accurate measurements of the liquids
you put into the mix.

After you have that information

You put in 2 tablespoons less total liquid
in the recipe the next time.

The problem is you have too much liquid
in the batch of dough .

Hope this helps
***
Please post a summary, as when, and i say, WHEN i bake bread i have the same
problem

I must confess, Ener G Foods  makes a GREAT white bread, it's in the frozen
aisle at Whole Foods, Tapioca bread and yeast free bread......

but again, please post a summary...maybe i'll bake again   :)
***
      You seem to be working very hard at making bread.  Of course good
toast and sausage in the AM is worth it to me.
      I have used a kitchen aid mixer and gf flour to make bread for almost
7 years now.  I have recently been given some Bob Red Mill mixes.  I don't
think you have to work as hard as you are.  I take my stuff out of refrig
when I realize that I really have to bake, put all the dry ingred in my
mixing bowl, including the bread machine or (quick rise yeast), then I add
the vinegar, oil (I use olive and sunflower oil, never margarine etc).  When
egg whites and buttermilk are called for I add dry form with dry
ingredients.  When I begin mixing, I preheat oven for about one minute on
150, turn it off and turn my oven light on.  After the bread is mixed I put
in pan and it rises in about 20 minutes.  Try decreasing oven temp to 375 to
bake, and adding slightly less liquid than called for.
      My favorite bread is a Bette Hagman recipe, sesame bean bread from
GFGourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.  I like the texture bean and jowar flour
add to bread.
      Best wishes for feeling energetic and enjoying your bread.
***
Use a smaller loaf pan; they are much more forgiving :).
***
I use Bette Hagman's quick French Bread recipe and her mock oatmeal bread
recipe. I
have excellent luck with both. One idea- get an oven thermometer to leave in
the
oven, to be sure your oven thermostat is accurate. Also try adding another
tsp of
xanthum gum- the bread may collapse because there isn't enough substance to
the
mix- no protein from the glutento "hold up" the bubbles the yeast makes- and
the
xanthum gum can help with that. Also what altitude are you at? That can
affect the
results. You may need to use less liquid or add a couple of tablespoons of
rice
flour to the mix. Also try contacting the manufacturer of the mix- they may
have
ideas.
***
Hi - to prevent over browning of your bread, make a foil tent for the bread
pan, remove it for the final 15 minutes of baking.  This goes for all breads
and pies - 15 minutes of browning time is usually ample - gives a nice
crust.  Also, to make the crust more tender, rub butter on when you remove
the foil tent (I usually just take the paper off one end of a stick of
butter and rub like that - I have never really felt okay with brushes,
little hotbeds of bacterial activity IMO)  As to why it's falling - I just
don't know, but consider the following:
Are you using the microwave to heat your milk?  Microwaves kill the enzymes
in food, and in something as delicate as bread-making (ESPECIALLY GF bread!)
the enzymes are important little guys.  Also, you may need to adjust your
oven temperature.  The bread could just be baking too hot, leaving a gluey
inside and a too-brown outside.  Try taking it down 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
If it's still falling, take off another 25 degrees.  Bread, depending on the
density requires a temp. anywhere from 350 to 425, altitude is usually a
factor, as is oven temperament.  Pre-heat your oven, then make sure you
switch it to bake. (In my pre-diagnosis days, I was something of a
breadmaker.  Used to "wow my family and friends!" - I haven't made any GF
bread after one dismal failure which I mixed by hand, later learning that
you really NEED a heavy duty mixer for the Xantham or guar gum - hard to be
perfect at something and then revert to learning a whole new game.)
Good Luck!
***
You are baking it a too hot a temperature.  My packages of Bob's mix calls
for baking at 375 degrees.  I have a convection oven, which bakes warmer by
25 degrees, so I bake it at 400 degrees and it comes out just fine.
***