From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:34:43 -0800
On 23 Mar 2002, at 16:40, Graham Peak wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have just completed a system build based upon the following;
> Pentium 4 socket 478 CPU, 256 DDR memory chip, 60 gigabyte Seagate
> 5400 HDD, 32mb Riva TNT2 AGP graphics on a ECS P4S5A motherboard.
> The power supply unit is 350 watts. The CD drive is a Phillips 16
> x 10 x 40 CD-RW.
> I have installed Win ME.
> Everything seems to be fine with one exception. Once past POST the
> system hangs for more than 2 minutes before loading the ME
> operating system.
> I have tried a different memory chip, tried a alternative AGP card
> and even re-fomatted and re-installed the OS without any
> improvement.
>
> This is the first build I have accomplished with a Pentium and I
> wonder if I have overlooked something.
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> Best wishes
> Graham Peak

  Is there a network card in the machine?  If there is, and it is
configured to "obtain a TCP/IP address automatically", then it could
be timing out trying to find a DHCP server.  Try disabling the card
or assigning a static IP address (192.168.255.254 should be pretty
safe to use for now).

  Is there a sound card in the machine?  My wife's machine seems to
pause for a minute or more in the boot process, apparently while
initializing her SBLive card.

Dave Gillett