From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 20:41:54 -0600
>I doubt there was any paleo group that worked harder than say a logger or a
>commercial fisherman.

My dad was a concrete foreman for years - his minions were all but slaves
and he didn't have it much easier.  Other bitches for a living?  Mining,
bricklaying, probably a gazillion individual construction specialties, i.e.
roofing, siding, etc.  All for eight (expletive) hours a day and five days a
week!

Even today, farming takes its toll; it's a job that never ends.  I know, I
worked on a dairy farm as a kid.  Mr. Bergey and his sons rarely rested.  As
for the Agricultural Revolution, John Q. Sixpack can't grasp the concept
that farming was back-breaking labor.  They seem to think John Deere's been
around since the dawn of time or something!  Planting and harvesting by hand
beats hunting and gathering hands down when it comes to strength spent.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO