Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:02:41 +0900
Theola Walden Baker wrote:

> [...]

Never heard this one, though I do hear some pretty strange
things sometimes. What the Japanese learn in history class
and what other people write about them are sometimes widely
in varience.

 The info that I thought
> was vastly interesting was about a village in Japan (begins with an -H,
> maybe?) where the people do not eat any rice at all, are exceptionally
> long-lived in spite of high tobacco use,  stay youthful looking, and are
> physically vigorous, strong and agile into very old age.  The main starch in
> their diet, if I remember correctly, is a type of yam.

Well, sweet potatoes are pretty popular, especially in the
south. In fact, vendors drive little trucks around selling
hot sweet potatoes door to door in the winter.