From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:33:24 -0400
On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Rosemary wrote:

> I do wonder on what basis the determination was made that your wife's supply
> was inadequate. Your reference to "ounces" makes me think she might have
> been expressing milk.

No, that was just an estimate.  What happened was that the baby
had to be rehospitalized a day after coming home, because he was
becoming lethargic, and to weak to suck.  In the hospital, they
put him on a drip to keep him from dying.  When his strength
returned they placed him on the breast frequently, and he did his
best, but it wasn't working, and he soon became weak again.  He
simply wasn't getting enough.  They stayed in the hospital for a
week, but the situation didn't change.  When they came home, my
wife was instructed to continue trying -- maybe there was just
some delay in lactation.  But it didn't happen.  After a couple
of weeks, she stopped lactating altogether, and that was that.

> If you are planning to have another child, I have a lot of resources and
> references I could give you for maintaining a good milk supply.

Thanks, but that's unlikely.

Interestingly, both my sister and I were unable to breastfeed.
My sister consistently and adamantly refused breast milk, even
when expressed into a bottle.  I did not refuse it, but was
unable to tolerate it.  It apparently made me quite sick, and I
had to be put on whatever formula they had in 1953.  My mother
thinks it was soy-based, but who knows.

I don't know anything about my mother's prenatal nutrition, but
my wife's was quite good, by non-paleo standards.  She doesn't
like fish, but ate a good amount, plenty of fruits, veggies,
etc., and other meats.  She avoided caffeine, which was very
difficult for her, and consumed no alcohol.

Todd Moody