From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:13:38 -0700
Amadeus wrote:

> Native americans were mostly agricultural.

Mostly??

Some were, yes. But many were true hunter-gatheres who
migrated continuously throughout the year. Not much
room for agriculture there. Many others practiced what
we would now call a form of permaculture - they
'allowed' certain plants to grow in their villages,
which was probably a prelude to agriculture.

Most of us associate Native Americans and corn. But,
corn (maize) agriculture was a fairly late arrival,
beating the arrival of Europeans by just a few
centuries. Prior to that, most agriculture
(permaculture) on this continent consisted of items we
would consider very paleo. And even then agriculture
was not nearly as widespread as in Europe and Asia.

When we speak of agriculture (as we know it) as being
upwards of 10,000 years old in the 'old world', bear
in mind that it was probably just a couple thousand
years old - if that old - in the 'new world'.