From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 17:23:10 -0500
>Don't even bother telling your doctor you're in ketosis and he'll never
>know it.  Even if you get a complete physical it's totally unlikely to show
>up.  If you want to be amusing, wait until after the exam is over and then
>tell him you're in ketosis--but the question I would ask is, why bother?
>There really won't be any way for him to tell, nor would it be likely to
>affect anything in the exam.

My girlfriend has been working with trying to stay on the Protein Power
diet. Sometimes she does better than others. Sometimes when she eats
Protein-Power-style, her breath gets pretty bad. That might be one way a
doctor could tell.

She says it's because when on the Protein Power diet she doesn't get hungry
so often, and when she is not eating as much her breath gets bad. I am not
sure how much of the bad breath is due to possible ketosis, and/or if it is
due more to not eating a whole lot (and the body consequently burning
stored fat or protein), or if it is due to the Protein Power diet causing
something similar metabolically.

Does anybody know what the possible causes of bad breath are? I don't
believe it's all strictly bacteria in the mouth or lungs. Because I know
when I have gone on long fasts before, the breath gets very bad (it does
for virtually everybody who fasts) once the body exhausts its stored
glycogen reserves--these will last through about day two of a water fast
before you starting burning stored nutritional reserves. I am not familiar
enough with ketosis to remember what the metabolism of it is, just know it
can occur when the body switches its primary fuel over to something else
once the glycogen/glucose supply gets low, and that's when your breath gets
bad even if you never had any problems before.

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>