From:
"E. McCreery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 16:44:29 -0400
Almost all seeds from the Prunus genus (plums, apricots, peaches,
nectarines, cherries, and almonds) of plants are edible if they are not
bitter. If they are, that means they contain substantial quantities of
amygdalin, which hydrolizes in the body to hydrocyanic acid. Cyanide. This
is also what gives almonds their characteristic flavor. There are a lot of
varieties of edible fruit-bearers in this genus that also have edible seeds.
There are many, many species of Prunus that grow native to north temperate
regions, most of then native to the U.S.

Goji berries are Lycium barbarum, yes. They are native to China. There are 5
other edible species in the genus Lycium, another from China, 3 native to
southwest U.S. and the last is native to central and eastern U.S. Might be
worth looking for in dappled shade or woodland edges of those regions if any
of you happen to live there.
The berries from L. barbarum are also said to taste slightly like licorice.

Ellie

> I did a little research; the botanical name is Lycium barbarum, and
another common name
> is Matrimony Vine.  It is hardy in zones 6-9 (not in N. Colorado :-(
> A mailorder source is One Green World, which has lots of unusual edible
plants;
> their website is < http://www.onegreenworld.com >
>
>     Lynnet
>
>I am hopeful that they might carry the kind of apricot
> trees that grow in Hunza.  The seeds are supposed to taste like almonds
without the bitter taste we associate
> with apricot seeds.
>
> If anyone wants to try the goji berries and can't get them locally there
is a place in Oklahoma that sells them