Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:46:58 -0500
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:39:56 -0600, Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>ok, while we are on the topic of yucky-tasting oils...
>
>i can't stand the taste of extra virgin olive oil, i was wondering if
>anyone here actually likes it?
>i still use it, but unlike other fats i eat i need to mask it in salad
>dressing or else i sautee with it.  just thinking maybe i should avoid
>it if i don't enjoy the taste of it.
>i was wondering if the freshness of the olive oil matters, i realise it is
>pretty stable.  i don't think i would be able to tell if olive oil has
>gone rancid.  i might try buying a bottle of organic extra virgin
>olive oil if i know it will taste different than the stuff i bought at
>the supermarket (it was from italy and it said it was extra virgin and
>cold pressed but inexpensive for its size)
>
>jana eagle

Yes, I like olive oil! It would definitely be worth trying another bottle
of a different brand, perhaps a slightly more expensive one. (I can't claim
to have noticed a big taste difference between organic and normal.) The one
I use costs about three pounds for 500ml, i.e. 4-5 dollars. I like
drizzling it on things, e.g. roasted mediterranean vegetables, or combining
it with walnut oil or hazlenut oil in salad dressings.

On the other hand I quite like flax oil and my mother can't stand it, so
clearly there are some issues of personal preference regarding oils.

A couple of people posted about mayonnaise - the recipe I use says to mix
about 1 part olive oil with 2 parts of a blander oil (groundnut oil is
mentioned) so that the flavour isn't too overwhelming. But the good thing
about extra virgin olive oil is that it's not overprocessed, whereas I
think most other oils are. I think Udo Erasmus's book 'Fats that Heal, Fats
that Kill' has some more stuff on this but I don't have my copy to hand.
Have a look at http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/udo_index.htm if
you're interested.

Cheers,

Jo