C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:16:08 -0400
Well, I read a lot when the cable's out.  Since we live in a new
construction area, the cable's out a lot.

Give y'all an update on the "rib" Laura:

She had another bone marrow biopsy last week at M.D. Anderson Cancer Clinic
in Houston.  I stayed home (under duress) and she had a close friend fly out
with her.

Not all of the genetic tests are back yet, but we got good news and bad.
The good news is that she is still considered in "molecular remission" of
the chronic lymphocytic leukemia.  The bad news is that prognosticative
genetics point to her getting the acute (aggressive) form of the cancer
should it return.  Of more urgent concern is that she still has only 40%
renal function and her immuno-gamma-globulin (a critical component of the
immune system) has been virtually destroyed.  This means that ANY infection,
even a common cold, could become deadly.  The doctors are considering IGG
infusions, and they've asked Laura's siblings to be matched for a bone
marrow transplant in case the infusions failed to work.  Keep your fingers
crossed and prayer headed our way.

Thanks!

-Kyle