VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:28:29 -0500
I received the following announcement from PNC Bank announcing the ending
of cell-phone ATM access and the ntroduction of talking ATM's.  There is
a list of locations at the end of the document.  The announcement seems
to have been sent to those who participated in the cell-phone ATM access
program.

The bank is headquartered in Pittsburgh and operates one of the largest
ATM networks in America with more than 2,000 machines.  In 1999, the bank
was sued for failing to provide talking ATM's.   In January, 2001, a
class action settlement was reached, pending court approval,  and a pilot
project initiated to provide ATM access for the blind through live
operators reading ATM screens to blind end users listening to cell phones
at the machines.  End users experienced lengthy waits to receive cell
phones, long transaction processing times, frequent ATM time outs,
inaccurate instructions, and botched transactions.  In fall 2001, the
blind community, through its leaders and national organizations, rejected
this approach entirely through objections to the settlement filed in
federal district court in Pittsburgh.  The bank and those bringing the
lawsuit withdrew the settlement before the court ruled on the objections.
The two individuals that brought the lawsuit settled their individual
claims.  Currently, there is no agreement or structured ongoing
discussions with the bank to deploy talking ATM's on a wide scale
throughout the country.

Currently, there are about 10,000 talking ATM's in the United States.
They are in nearly all of the 50 states in the United States and in other
countries including Canada, Spain, Australia, and India.         PNC was
the only ATM deployer to utilize a non-talking ATM approach for access by
the blind.  It is significant that PNC has joined the rest of the world's
banks and ATM deployers in concluding that talking ATM's are the only
effective way for blind persons to conduct 24 hour a day, seven day a
week banking.

Kelly

[Received undated and without postmark on March 26, 2003]

Dear Registrant:

We would like to inform you of an exciting enhancement to PNC Bank's ATM
program for the benefit of the visually impaired.
PNC Bank is pleased to announce the availability of voice-guided ATMs. As
a leader in the ATM industry, we have enabled a select group of ATMs with
voice guidance technology. As a result, we will be discontinuing our cell
phone pilot program.

To use our new talking ATMs, you will insert an earpiece into an earphone
jack located on the front of the ATM. Although the type of transaction
that can be performed at an ATM varies by machine, the following
transactions will be supported by audio lead through

withdrawals, deposits, transfers, balance inquiries, and statements. (The
statement information will only print on a receipt. It will not be
provided in audio.)

A list of available talking ATM locations is included with this letter,
along with a partial list of additional ATMs scheduled to receive the
audio feature later this year. Coming soon, you will be able to access an
online list of talking ATMs through PNC Bank's ATM locator at
www.pncbank.com.

As you are aware, PNC introduced a pilot program in 2002 whereby a cell
phone was used to provide live instruction for performing ATM
transactions using PNC Bank call center operators.   This program will be
discontinued effective April 30, 2003.

Upon registration in this pilot program, you were given the option of
using your personal cell phone or a PNC Bank issued cell phone. If you
chose to use a PNC Bank issued cell phone, service to that phone will be
disconnected at the start of business on May 1st. The following
arrangements have been made with AT&T Wireless, the provider of the
cellular service for the pilot program. You may choose to:-

Keep the cellular phone. If you choose this option, you may activate the
phone under a personal arrangement with AT&T Wireless by taking the phone
to the nearest AT&T Wireless store. Or, you may call AT&T at 800-888-7600
to make a personal arrangement with AT&T Wireless. You may locate the
nearest AT&T Wireless store by calling AT&T at the above phone number.

- Return the phone, battery, and charger to PNC Bank. If returned, PNC
Bank will donate the phone to a Pittsburgh shelter for battered women. To
return the phone, simply bring it to a PNC Bank branch office or mail the
three pieces to:
PNC Bank
600 Grant Street
P6-PUSX-39-1
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-2750
Attn: Susan Hanus

We greatly appreciate your participation in PNC Bank's pilot program. We
are confident that our talking ATM solution will provide you with the
utmost in freedom and ease of use of our ATM network.

PNC Bank Talking ATMs
Available as of 4/30/03:

PNC Bank Branch Offices

Pittsburgh Area:
- Carrick, 2150 Brownsville Road (Pgh.area)
- Craig Street, 4600 Fifth Avenue (Pgh.area)
-
- State College Area:
- College Avenue, 122 E. College Avenue

Cincinnati, OH
- North College Hills Branch, 1598 W. Galbraith Road

Non-PNC Bank Branch Locations

Pittsburgh Area:

- PNC Plaza, 2 PNC Plaza
- Pittsburgh Airport (4 locations)
-
- Philadelphia Area

- Philadelphia Airport, Philadelphia, PA (12 locations)

Penn State University
- Altoona, PA
- Hazleton, PA
- State College, PA
(2 locations: Hubs 1 and 3)

Other locations available later in 2003:

New Jersey:

- Wawa, 856 Mantua Park, Woodbury Heights

Erie, PA area

- Country Fair, 808 Peach Street

Central PA area

- Penn State University, State College (On campus at Pollock and Kern)
-
- Philadelphia, PA

- Liberty Place Food Court, 1625 Chestnut Street
- Wawa, 843 S. Second Street

Philadelphia Area

- Wawa, 1800 Ticonderoga Blvd, Chester Springs

Pittsburgh, PA

- Cogo's, 3767 Brownsville Road
- Pittsburgh Airport (5 locations)
- Walnut Capital, 5500 Walnut Street
- Cogo's, 620 Lincoln Avenue, Bellevue
- Cogo's, 1530 Potomac Ave, Dormont
- Monroeville Mall, 235 Monroeville Mall