VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:54:06 -0500
Jon,

The effort for the re-defining of broadband telecommunications is to
allow the local telephone companies to restrict who can offer DSL service
like the cable companies do.  Currently, if broadband is delivered
through telephone lines, any company can offer DSL, including selling the
telephone company's own service bought by FCC order at wholesale prices
to consumers at retail prices.  The current rules also require the local
telephone company to open its facilities to employees of competitors
under the same conditions that the telephone company's own employees
have.  Currently in the united States, there are thousands of dial-up
Internet providers.  the biggest change for this regulation would be that
there likely would emerge only a very small number of broadband
providers, as access to existing cable and telephone networks will be
controlled by the companies that own the networks.  Cable television
companies can restrict and limit which Internet companies, if any, can
provide service on their networks.  The telecoms argue that they need a
level playing field not for the consumer but to compete against cable.

Kelly