From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:01:24 -0800
This is a warning for Windows XP users with NTFS partitions. I have been
having disk corruption problems with my new system and assumed that the
problem was due to my specific hardware - Intel board with new SATA, IDE
to SATA converters, and new WD drives with 8MB cache. While doing a
search on Google, I ran across this link:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1033794134
To my surprise, others with WinXP and NTFS have been having problems
identical to mine and their hardware is quite different. So I turn to
this list to see if we can identify what is going on. If you are running
WinXP and NTFS, try running CHKDSK and see if any problems are reported.
On my system, I can run CHKDSK with /F - it says that no problems needed
to be fixed. But  when I run it again after boot up without the /F, it
finds all sort of index problems.

My hypothesis now is that perhaps my use of a 149GB single partition may
be contributing to the problem. Any experiences and ideas are welcome.
Users of Win2k with NTFS may be subject to the same problem. Further,
formatting XP to NTFS is apparently different form formatting to FAT and
then converting to NTFS. The latter seems to avoid problems. I have not
yet tired to do this, and am not sure that indeed it fixes any problems.
Looks to me like Microsoft has a serious bug that needs to be fixed and
we may be paying the price with lost data till they do.

Peter
The NoSpin Group - [log in to unmask]