From:
Marty Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:27:23 -0400
At 06:42 PM 6/26/02 -0400, you wrote:
>A friend of mine was told by Adelphia that if he wanted to share his cable
>internet access with other computers in his home, it would cost an extra
>$24.95 per month per computer.

Possible they meant through a splitter? The cable companies here in NY used
to have this kind of policy too where the contract specified additional
charges for additional TV's. They gave up on that though AFAIK - probably
because it is basically unenforceable.

>I was under the impression that when you have
>a network with one computer as the gateway connected to the internet, the
>client computers have their own internal IP addresses that can't be seen by
>the outside world. Only the gateway computer has an external IP address.

Yep. I just set up Proxy by AnalogX
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm. (note - I have
no association with this company other than being satisfied with this free
product). Anyway to set up sharing I just installed the product and then
hardcoded local ip addresses and gave that info to the proxy options
screens for my network's browsers.

>What's to stop him from setting up his own network and sharing the
>connection? How would anyone know? I've heard of people buying secondary
>static IP addresses for additional computers and this makes no sense to me

If the contract specifies this then it's a legal issue. Technically I think
you're right about this. Of course installing a cable splitter is much
easier than installing a proxy server I would think, never tried it - maybe
that's what they're talking about.

hth,
Marty

--