Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:46:30 +1200
Thanks to all who responded - my question was answered very comprehensively.

I'd forgotten about all the other apps-related files that get planted into
Windows, so that would preclude using a previous cabfile.

Actually, my question was hypothetical.  Like many of you who've seen the
light, I recently starting using GoBack, so the drama and stress of Windows
restores are no longer neccessary.

All I can say is - if you're not using GoBack, get it now.

On the subject of GoBack, maybe someone can answer this:

I'm wondering what governs the maximum number of days available for
reverting.  I would have thought that it would be related to the amount of
space allocated at setup.

When I first installed GoBack, I allocated 2 Gb of drive space, and this
yielded an available 'go back' history of 3 days. I reinstalled the program
and this time allocated the default setting of 10%, which made 4Gb of space
available.

However, the history still seems to remain about the same, 3-4 days.  Not
that I really need any more, 3 days is plenty, but I'm curious.

And now that I think about it, what happens if you don't use your machine at
all for several days?  Obviously you can't revert to a time when the machine
wasn't on, but does the history increase by the amount of time the machine
wasn't running?

Ian Porter
Computer Guys
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Larry Fisk"

> Ian;
> I understand your concept, but you are overlooking the fact that most
> modern windows apps install "common" files and .dll files in the windows

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml