From:
Molly NíDána <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 09:21:38 +0800
This is a very good point. My ex-husband and his twin have celiac
disease to a lifethreatening degree.  Their two sisters don't APPEAR
to have problems with gluten unless they eat too much. Their older
sister once moved near a really good bakery (in NYC) and discovered
that she did have a problem after ending up in the hospital.  There
was some speculation about 20 years ago (from cluster studies of
birth locations) that people genetically predisposed to celiac could
be affected (ie, have a worsening of the genetic predisposition) by
industrial pollutants during gestation, primarily heavy metals. The
boys were born in NYC, and the girls both in Detroit.  I don't know
what ever became of this line of research, but I'm happy to just
stay away from cereal grains and feel the better for it.  Often
people have no idea what wellness feels like, and will just go one
eating what everyone else is eating until they're really ill.

Molly