From:
James Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:26:26 -0400
>From: James Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>"> I guess the $64,000 question is why Paleolithic humans were not fat?"
>And the $64,000 answer would probably be it was the diet combined
>with the lifestyle. Over a weeks time paleo people did tons more physical
>work than just about anyone today, even manual laborers. Here's a link
>to a forum that has paleo type people discussing ways to exercise
>http://pub17.ezboard.com/banimalability
>Jim

I disagree. I stay fit on a paleo diet no matter if I exercise or not. The
only difference is that if I stop doing weight training I'm loosing muscle
mass but not gaining fat.
Paul Sand
Paul & Craig,
Ask most people that workout with weights about loosing muscle & not gaining
fat
and I would bet that it doesn't work that way for them. You must have a
higher metabolism.
When people lose muscle their metabolism slows down.
The American Indian tribe(s) that lived with abundance must have been an
exception in my
eyes. Maybe they were fat, but I doubt it. I can't imagine how even with
everything plentiful
you wouldn't have to work harder than average doing everything by hand
(building shelter,
making weapons, making clothing, making utensils, carrying food, water,
other things,
preparing food & everything else I can't think of.
I always think of the Iceman that they found frozen in the Alps(?) a few
years back. He was
from a part of the world that he must have been living on the cusp of a
paleolithic/neolithic life-
style. They said he weighed about 110-115lbs was around five foot tall or
less(the size of a
small woman), carried a bow that had a 90lb draw was injured & had traveled
a distance
over rugged terrain that would make todays fitness enthusiast balk without
the injuries.
BTW the Iceman was this fit and he was malnourished.
To me if he's an example of a paleolithic type it sure sounds like he lived
a harder life than
a coal miner, bricklayer, or other person with a job that is VERY HARD, but
at least
when they go home they get all the modern conveniences.
JMHO,
Jim