From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:31:20 -0700
> An interesting question is --- do children of
> aboriginal tribal
> hunter-gatherers (who have been isolated from modern
> society) get ADHD ?

Now that you mention it, I recall reading an article a
couple of years ago in which the author suggested that
various traits we now associate with ADHD may have
been a 'plus' in a hunter-gatherer society. The
shortened attention span, the quick 'switch' from
thought to thought, the reactionary behavior, and my
favorite, the occasional 'hyper-focus' traits would
all tend to favor the hunter, but might have also
improved the gatherer's 'job'. ADHD would not have
been much of a liability until agriculture arrived on
the scene and people were expected to participate in
mundane, monotonous activities all day. And of course
it is much more noticeable in today's world when the
ADHD individual is expected to handle not only mundane
activities but also be able to organize a ton of
unrelated bits of data every day.

I read the article because I have an ADHD son and
suspect I would have been labeled as ADHD when I was a
kid. It was actually very fascinating and written in a
very humorous style. I will see if I can find it
again, and if I do, will post the link.