From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:25:15 +0200
Den 2002-07-31 18:27:06 skrev Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>:

>Since our ancestors consumed the stomach contents of prey who ran the
>slowest (often the young milk feeding animal), an argument can be made that
>we are designed to eat a bit of cheese.

I do not think it works that way.
Those kinds of food that we are adapted to eat in quantities, are those foods
that during some period have been critical for the survival of our species.
Such periods are probably population bottlenecks during some time with a
big shift in what food was obtainable. Around 40000 years ago there was
probably only about 2000 persons of the group that now is europeans,asians
and american indians. What made them survive this hard period?  Similar
periods have probaly followed our species through all the millions of years.
The result of this forms what kinds of foods we are "designed" to eat.
All other food is what is possible to digest and not immediately making one sick
if eaten in small quantities and/or during short periods. Some of these foods
may also contain important things, so that we actually *need* them, but still
only in small quantities.

To claim that milk, or products of that, is a food we are designed to eat, means
that it either has been absolutely impossible to live without during a period long
enough to sort away close to everyone that could not procreate without it. Or
that circumstances after that period have been such that other traits have not
been able to leak back into the population.
Note, what I say here is if one claims that *everyone* is designed to eat this
food (in this case milk). But one could very well think of a situation where only
a part of the population is not "designed" to eat that food. Then we still will have
the problem with what group one belongs to, and the answer to that will appear
probably when it is too late.

Paleodiet is no religion, nothing is forced on us, there is no gury (I hope...) that
should be obeyed. Everyone has to collect knowledge and make up his/her
decisions about what to eat and not to eat.
Personally I have some cream now and then (with berries f ex), but only
organic and during the summer period when the critters eat grass from the ground.
I think the fat is the least problematic part of milk. But that is my own decision,
and I do not recommend anyone else to follow it, other than to support some
cheating just for the sake of relaxing from principles.

- Hans