From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 06:28:21 -0500
I said only that execise was PROBABLY more important.  Seems there will be
different personal experiences which lead us to prefer one over the
other.  Tsayonah had no luck with exercise (Paleo exercise? or the usual
gym stuff?) and noticed a big improvement in her health when she switched
to Paleo food.  Perhaps her diet was in worse shape than her all-up
exercise/activity regime.  Think of people at the other extreme - Olympic
athletes whose diets are way off Paleo, but whose physical achievements
are among the world's finest.

Really, my own way of thinking is that exercise is often under-rated
because adjusting one's food intake to the Paleo model is easier than
establishing one's activity/sleep/stretching regime to the P
aleo.  (I'm
not implying that any subscriber to this list fits this model - I'm making
a general statement, based on observations of people I have known closely,
not over the internet)

So, although exercise is under-rated in comparison to diet, I regard it as
critical that the two go together.  Some of the theory you'll find in Rob
Faigin's book: Natural Hormonal Enhancement in which he shows how hormones
are critical to our well-being and that both exercise and dietary affect
hormone levels and profiles.  I'd take it a step further.  Paleo diet and
Paleo exercise make sense only in a Pleistocene environment.  This is not
to advocate a return to the stone age; it means rather that we need to
take an active interest in our physical environment, particularly
degradation of that environment which affects our health.

Keith