Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:31:23 -0400
Paul Getty posted this:
>>And, fruits today come at you at all times of the year.  If one is eating
>>Paleo, one should only eat wild type fruits and only when they are
available.  There should not be constant sugar sources on a Paleo
diet.................it was a once in a while type of thing for early man.
Orange juice every morning should be stricken from the Pale diet.

Reply:
You are making a gross generalization. If you assume that all paleo people
lived in Northern regions, then it may be that they only had fruit for a
limited time each year.  However, there are HGs who live in temperate
climiates, where an abundance of fresh vegetation, including fruit, would be
available year round or close to it.  People living along the coast would
have had access to lush vegetation prior to the take over of modern people
and the dessertification of areas that were previously prolific in produce.

Modern HGs do not inhabit the most desirable locations, because we modern
people have stolen them---coastal, waterfront property used for commerce,
fishing, etc.  HGs living in a Mediterranean climate or climate similar to
southern California could have made the bulk of their diets fresh fruits,
vegetables, nuts, coconuts, palm, or avocadoes.

Fruit consumption is not the root cause of modern health problems, nor is
the consumption of roots, or nutritious tubers.  In fact, most Americans eat
precious few daily servings of fruits and vegetables.  These are the most
nutritious foods in people's diets and it is not necessary to ration them to
become healthy.  On the contrary, I believe that most people would benefit
from greatly increasing their consumption of both whole fruits and
vegetables.  Fruits, like vegetables, are rich in vitamins, minerals,
antioxidants, fiber, and are very flavorful if fully ripened and properly
grown.  I see no reason to exclude fruits or limit them to infrequent use on
a paleo diet that contains generous amounts of vegetables, and modest amount
of hormone and antibiotic-free protein foods.

Rachel Albert-Matesz,
co-author of the Practically Primitive Diet & Cookbook (due out in 2003)