From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 20:57:26 +0930
"Ken Stuart [log in to unmask] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" wrote:

> And, in fact, the long-term study of Finnish policemen that was
> published in the journal Circulation, showed that the one indicator that
> had the greatest correlation with heart disease was excessive insulin
> level (which is largely caused by excess carbohydrate consumption).

Sorry, but that is not quite correct...

The study did *not* find that "the one indicator that had the greatest
correlation with heart disease was excessive insulin level".

What it did find was that hyperinsulinemia (largely independently of
other CHD risk factors) predicted CHD risk, and that the predictive
power was of the "same magnitude" as that of cholesterol.

On my reading, there was no mention of "greatest correlation" and to the
best that I can see, no particular comparison made that would find
"greatest correlation".

It is also important to note the final comments by the authors...

"Therefore, although the results of our study clearly demonstrated a
statistically independent association of hyperinsulinemia to CHD risk,
we want to emphasize that this association may still be explained
through other factors clustering with hyperinsulinemia and insulin
resistance."

The abstract can be found here...
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/98/5/398

The full article...