Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:59:22 -0400
Andrew wrote:
>>>i think we are all subjected to a rather ironic situation, namely that paleo
eating is very low to zero carbohydrates, but at the same time...

My reply:
Where is it written that HG/paleo diets contain zero carbs?

What follows is a passage from the writing of Don Matesz, my husband, from a
nutrition/cookbook we have in the works:

"Dr. Richard Lee is probably the leading modern authority on contemporary
tropical hunter-gatherer tribes. His book The !Kung San (1979) was recently
listed by the journal American Scientist as among the top 100 most important
scientific works of the twentieth century."

"According to Dr.Lee, most tropical H-G diets have been plant-dominated. His
study of 58 contemporary primitive groups found that their diets by weight
average 65 to 75 percent plant foods, and 25 to 35 percent meat."

"The African !Kung San exemplify this pattern. The bulk of the African !Kung
San diet is gathered wild nuts, roots, and fruits. The average !Kung San
individual consumes 93 grams of total protein per day, the amount in 13
ounces of lean meat. Obesity is unknown. They are immune to all diseases of
civilization and have a fairly long life expectancy. Sophisticated medical
dating techniques have determined that about seven percent of !Kung live
more than 65 years. Some !Kung live to their eighth decade, slim and in very
good health, without need of eyeglasses, hearing aids, or other supports for
degenerating faculties."

"When asked why they did not adopt agriculture, a !Kung man replied ³Why
should we, when there are so many  mongongo nuts in the world?² Like some
other H-G groups, the !Kung diet is dominated by nuts; about 50% of their
calories come from mongongo. Nuts like meat are rich in protein and fat."

"Similar to the !Kung, wherever possible, healthy H-Gs use a very wide
variety of produce, including green leafy vegetables, roots, corms, bulbs,
barks, mushrooms, stems, fruits, and berries. Many tribes use more than 100
species of plant foods on a regular basis."

Rachel Albert-Matesz,
The Healthy Cooking Coach